The Evil Twin!

I have been working on transforming a settee which I found on craigslist (you can read about my craiglist finds here) . It was one of a pair and in need of a lot of work- much more than I had naively anticipated. I have made over many pieces of furniture and am not intimidated by a paint brush but in this settee I have met my arch nemesis. It has challenged me every step of the way and I am still uncertain of victory.

I purchased the settee as one half of a pair.  I was thrilled to find them as they are quality antiques out of a fabulous Philadelphia main line estate. The settee covered in chinoiserie silk was in good enough condition that I resold it immediately to an antique dealer specializing in French pieces! Unfortunately, its evil twin was not in as good shape. I knew I wouldn't be able to flip it in the condition it was in (although I admit I tried).

The fabric was stained and worn and there was work needed on the wooden frame. I did not want to incur the expense of reupholstering, so I decided to paint and glaze the wood (after some repairs) and then paint the fabric with chalk paint.  I know, what was I thinking?  Although I have read a few testimonials that chalk paint works well for painting fabric, my little settee had bigger plans for me than a simple paint job. First, some clamps and wood glue took care of the needed repairs. Then, a good sanding. Then I pulled all the trim away from the frame so I could paint and glaze the frame ( Linen White with an old Ralph Lauren glaze I had left over from another project). Then I had to paint the trim (Annie Sloan Paris Gray) without getting paint on the frame. This was an incredibly time consuming process as I had to use pieces of cardboard to protect the frame from paint and had to move and reposition the cardboard every few inches. As I was painting the trim I also painted the rest of the fabric. This is as far as I have gotten. Days have passed, perhaps weeks. Time has ceased to have meaning. I cannot think or see beyond finishing this bloody settee.

I still need to apply at least one more coat of paint. I have to paint or make a cover for the seat cushion- my original intent. I haven't yet decided but all signs point to no more painting. I have to sand (yes, sand) all the fabric to soften it as the paint has made it stiff as a Victorian corset. Then I need to glue the trim back in place. And finally, do a bit of work on the underside of the piece.
Do I see a light at the end of the tunnel? Perhaps a very dim beginning of one.


 The "good" twin


It lies in wait

Sanding


The trim pulled away



The frame painted

Glazed

The first coat of paint on the fabric and trim

I am still considering putting it out on the curb. So far, I have won the battle but may lose the war!!



Thanks for visiting A House Romance!