Going With The Flow Blue

I am a huge admirer of flow blue china. While I like all blue and white porcelain, the effect of the flowing, softened blue is my favorite. I only have a few pieces in my home but would love to add to my would be collection.  One thing I try to be aware of with collecting is the dreaded "granny" look.   Both of my grandmothers had various extensive collections scattered throughout their homes including porcelain. Thus, my impression of any collection beyond three objects is inadvertently linked to my recollection (no pun intended) of the granny look.



  Source here


Flow blue originated in Staffordshire, England around 1825. Flow blue's characteristic depth of color is a result of reaction to chlorinated vapors in the kiln causing the cobalt color to spread and blur.  Today, one way of valuing flow blue is determined by the depth and spread of the color. Serious collectors pursue particular patterns and manufacturers.  My budget does not allow for that kind of selectivity; I don't even mind a few chips as long as they are not prominent.

Flow blue is utterly enchanting when used in traditional design such as a display of plates on a wall or arranged in a hutch. This collection belonging to blogger Pamela Gordon was passed down through several generations and she recalls her mother using it daily.


Source here

Even though flow blue is considered a valuable collectable, I especially love when it someone actually uses their flow blue in addition to merely displaying it.  


Source here


Source here

This striking black kitchen designed by Friederike Kemp Biggs and photographed by Derry Moore for Architectural Digest features flow blue among other blue and white porcelain.  Many collectors mix blue and whites.


Source here


Source here


Source here


Source here


The charm of flow blue for me lies in its blurred, almost smudged appearance.  It is not so formal as some of the other blue and whites and I can readily imagine it gracing a rustic antique farm or zinc topped table. Here is how I would love to use a collection of flow blue and I would use it!


 


 Dinner is Served!